GiantsKnitter

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Et tu, HBO? March 28, 2007

"The die is cast." and I am in mourning. Deep, deep mourning.

No, it's not because the half completed back of my Elaine Shell ("No Sheep for You") died a horrible death by frogging last night. It is because of the demise of "Rome" on HBO. I know what the TV-people are saying...it was only supposed to be a one season mini-series and getting that extra season was a bonus. I know all that. But I still feel cheated!

For those of you who didn't watch it (and yes, some of you may not have been very much into the violence and nudity - but hey, come on people - it was Rome in the days of the Caesars for gods sake!!), this version starts with the first one who named himself Emperor...Julius to the common person and ended with his successor, Octavian. The story followed their lives as well as those around them: relatives, senators, friends, and enemies alike. And parallel to life at court was the tale of two friends - Pullo and Vorenas - who served together as soldiers. This was, perhaps, the more compelling story...to see these two men take such different paths after their service ended and then to end up, together as brothers always.

It is so very hard to describe just how good this series was. There aren't enough superlatives to explain the skill with which each actor portrayed their character... Not household names, at least in the US, Polly Walker as the lusciously scheming Atia (mother of Octavian), Ray Stevenson as the brute with a heart Pullo, Kevin McKidd as a haunted Vorenus. The list goes on and on with not a mis-step in the casting at all as each performer painted their role with so much color and depth that I believe I will actually miss them! And, of course, the characters themselves besides the ones, above, there was Servillia, Livia, Octavia, Agrippa, Marc Antony, Cleopatra....and on and on...

If only the show would go on like "I, Claudius" did back in the day. Then we were treated to the full retinue of Caesars from Julius to Nero who fiddled while Rome burned in the last episode; we passed through the very bad, bad boy Caligula and his Uncle Claudius....ah, me.

If you have digital cable go fetch this progam from OnDemand. It is well worth your time. And see "I, Claudius", too.

At least I can look forward to Battlestar Galactica starting another season...in fracking 2008!!!!

To paraphrase: HBO, you came, you saw, you conquered. Me, at least.

Salve', Citizens.

4 Comments:

  • At 7:23 PM, Blogger Jody said…

    I may have to check that out on OnDemand.

     
  • At 12:22 PM, Blogger Bonnie said…

    I heard this was a good one. HBO had to make a decision between Rome and Deadwood and went with the ancients. I have heard a rumor they are producing a final chapter of Deadwood to tie up some horribly loose ends. Perhaps there's a future for your fave too.

    Did you ever catch Deadwood? The character Alma was knitting with red yarn in several scenes. I always wondered what she was making.

     
  • At 10:05 AM, Blogger Large Marge said…

    What should we do while waiting for Battlestar??? I need SOMETHING to keep me going!!!!!

     
  • At 12:55 PM, Blogger Bonnie said…

    It's April 6 now GK. I came back to tell you Bobby and I rented the first two DVDs of Rome. So far we like it and plan to go through the entire series. Thanks for the tip!

    You were right about the two soldiers stealing the show. Hubby says most of the actors are headed for American TV very soon so you'll get to see those talents again.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Buttons:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Powered by Blogger